What is shocking a well? Shock chlorination is a relatively inexpensive and straightforward procedure used to control bacteria in wells. It involves adding a large amount of chlorine to the water in the well and pumping it through the water distribution system.
- 1 How long does it take for water to clear after shocking a well?
- 2 How do you shock treat a well?
- 3 How often do you need to shock your well?
- 4 How much does it cost to shock treat a well?
- 5 Should you pour bleach in a well?
- 6 How long does it take to smell chlorine after shocking well?
- 7 Can you use pool shock in a well?
- 8 Does well water have chlorine in it?
- 9 Should you put Clorox in your well?
- 10 What happens if you don’t bleach your well?
- 11 Will bleach hurt a well pump?
- 12 How do I keep my well water clean?
- 13 How long after bleaching well can I shower?
- 14 What happens if you put too much bleach in your well?
- 15 How long can you leave bleach in a well?
- 16 How much bleach do I use to shock my well?
How long does it take for water to clear after shocking a well?
It will usually take 4 to 8 hours to flush the well after a standard well chlorination. The water may become discolored during flushing because the chlorine may have loosened the hard water deposits in the plumbing. Caution: The chlorine must be completely flushed from plumbing system.
How do you shock treat a well?
Once you smell chlorine coming out of the hose. Move the stream of chlorinated water around in the well to disinfect the sides. And parts of the well.
How often do you need to shock your well?
Homeowners with private wells should have their well water tested every 3 to 5 years for some contaminants, including bacteria. If these tests turn up positive for bacteria, chlorinating the well may be a way to resolve the problem.
How much does it cost to shock treat a well?
Cost of the shocking well range between $60 to $100. The cast varies depending on where you live. Do yourself method will reduce the expense significantly. You need Chlorine, 10 gallons bucket, and safety gear.
Should you pour bleach in a well?
Bleach should not be put into the well straight from the bottle. The general recommendation is to dilute the laundry bleach 1:100, (one gallon of bleach to 100 gallons or water; half a gallon of bleach to 50 gallons of water; a quart of bleach to 25 gallons of water.)
How long does it take to smell chlorine after shocking well?
Turn on the spigot and let the water in the hose run for about 1/2 hour into the well. After the 1/2 hour, smell the water coming out of the hose; if it does not smell of chlorine, continue to let it run into the well and smell it every so often until the chlorine odor is present.
Can you use pool shock in a well?
Chlorine granules, tablets and liquid chlorine in the form of household bleach can all be used to disinfect your well. Don’t use stabilized swimming pool chlorine products or non-chlorinated “pool shock” products, as they are not effective enough to clean your drinking water.
Does well water have chlorine in it?
Is Well Water Good for You? Private well owners do not have their water treated with chlorine or chloramines from the local water utility company. Because well water is not treated with chemicals designed to deal with organic contaminants, well water carries a higher risk of bacterial or viral infection.
Should you put Clorox in your well?
Disinfecting Your Water
You can disinfect your well with household chlorine bleach such as Clorox, Purex or a generic brand. The chlorine in the bleach kills bacteria. Note that it may take more than one chlorination for your well to return a satisfactory test.
What happens if you don’t bleach your well?
If you don’t keep your water clean and safe for drinking, you expose yourself to potentially harmful bacteria which can make you sick or destroy your well. While they’re not hazardous to health, perhaps the most damaging bacteria to your well are iron bacteria and sulphate-reducing bacteria.
Will bleach hurt a well pump?
WARNING. ► If your well has not been disinfected for many years, it may have considerable scale built up. Disinfecting with a strong chlorine solution can dislodge this scale and plug or damage your pump, and/or cause problems elsewhere in the plumbing system.
How do I keep my well water clean?
Here are steps you may need to take note of to protect your well water:
- Slope the area around the well. …
- Install a well cap or sanitary seal. …
- Keep accurate records of your well maintenance. …
- Hire a certified well driller. …
- Avoid mixing hazardous chemicals near the well.
How long after bleaching well can I shower?
Before you chlorinate your well, there are a number of precautions and steps to take to ensure safety for your family. Keep in mind that doing laundry and taking a shower cannot be done for at least 24 hours with a chlorinated well.
What happens if you put too much bleach in your well?
According to AskingLot, if you put too much bleach in your well, it can destroy the good bacteria found in the well, which can be a significant problem! The company also says that you should dilute the bleach with water so the pipes do not get ruined.
How long can you leave bleach in a well?
12 to 24 hours
Mix an additional 2 quarts bleach in 10 gallons of water. Pour it into the well without pumping. Allow chlorinated water to stand in the well and pipes for at least 8 hours (preferably 12 to 24 hours).
How much bleach do I use to shock my well?
4) Work out how much bleach will be needed: For every 50 gallons of water in the well use one quart of laundry bleach – (4 quarts in a gallon). Do not use excessive amounts of bleach – more is not more effective.